Including... new Instagram donate stickers, guides to image alt text and deep fake videos.
Welcome back to The Digital Snapshot, a fortnightly round-up of all the news, innovation and interesting ideas in the world of digital, as relevant to the arts, culture, museums and heritage sectors. Yes, we've been away, but we're back! And we have an exciting new section for you.
But first, a reminder that we can help you with any digital challenges you may have. For example, you probably use Google Analytics to learn what your visitors do on your website but if you want to know who they are, what their motivations are, how else they connect with your organisation and what they think about your website (or email newsletter or social media accounts) we can help. We have an highly experienced team of researchers who can find the answer to your questions. To chat about how we can help, please get in touch.
As we've been away for a few weeks we have a lot to get through, so buckle up and enjoy the ride.
News & Updates
- Under ownership at Yahoo, Tumblr languished in the doldrums a bit but it could be set to come back to promience given that it's been sold to the owners of Wordpress.
- UK charities can now use Instagram donate stickers. WWF were one of the trial charities, given early access - this is how they are using it to engage younger donors.
- Despite issues with regulators, Facebook continues to make huge amounts of money and has announced that 2.1 billion people now use their apps on a daily basis.
- Talking of internet behemoths, here are the top 100 websites in the world.
- Instagram is testing a new 'green screen' type feature to allow users to change their stories background.
- This could be a neat new little feature on Twitter, the ability to be notified of replies to an individual tweet.
Useful & Bookmarkable
- Very useful content style guide with must read tips about making your content more readable and accessible.
- If your organisation is unlucky enough to get trolled on social media, here is some solid advice about how to deal with it.
- How do people with visual impairments use emojis? Contains your regular reminder that if you stuff your twitter bio or tweets with emojis, anyone using a screen reader will have to sit through them all being laboriously read out.
- Here's a royalty free images website I hadn't come across before, some of them are a little 'stock image' but worth bookmarking.
- A guide to ensuring your website image alt-text is as useful as possible (NB link on tweet downloads a word document).
- This open-source tool can be used to perform text analysis on any website or online text.
- Google Analytics has made a number of important updates.
Inspiration, Ideas, Entertainment
- Catalyst looks like being an excellent initiative to help ensure the continued digital transformation of charities in the UK. More from one of the co-founders (who is also a founder of the brilliant CAST).
- There is still time to submit your design for a new sculpture emoji.
- Colouring London is a lovely data collection and vizualisation project by the University of London, "designed to collect, collate, show and share statistical information about London's buildings, and become the first port of call for information on the city's fabric".
- Apple is running some [AR]T walks in major cities, including London. Looks fun. More here.
- Funny because it's true.
The Dark Side
(A new semi-regular section covering the darker side of technology. Not to be pessimistic but because knowledge is power and maybe the arts, culture and museums sector is best placed to provide safe and creative places for society to consider the resulting issues.)
- I have watched this deep fake video a number of times and it really gives me the creeps. Where will we be when deep fakes are everywhere and video is no longer trusted (don't answer that).
- We all understand how social media has transformed our lives but this piece reminds us of the massive impact on our identities - "As more of life is experienced through camera screens, does it occur at a similar remove, where the messiness of lived experience is made into something merely observable?"
- Oh YouTube, the power that you wield is staggering.
- The Egg Is Bigger Than Before, I'll just leave you to read this one...
- VidCon is the annual gathering of video creators and YouTube (and now TikTok) influencers. For context, here's some weird things that happened at the 2017 conference. Anyway, this year they have a lot on their mind.
Need some help with Digital?
The Audience Agency can help you get the most out of your digital activity, taking an audience-centric approach, focusing on the needs of the audience, rather than the technical features or functions of different channels.
The Digital Snapshot newsletter shares the latest, most important news from the social media and digital world - as relevant to the arts, culture and heritage sectors.