Providing inclusive experiences for all audiences is an essential part of delivering an effective audience development strategy. If you’re thinking about this for the first time or revisiting how you approach diversity and inclusivity it can be useful to review your organisations current position.
Taking a people centred approach is crucial, and we can assist you in talking to communities and ensuring they inform your decision-making processes.
Working with our regular collaborators, we can help you to:
- Understand the demographics of your communities. Find out about the demographics and cultural engagement of your catchment area.
- Monitor your audience demographics. Use Audience Finder surveys to benchmark your audience demographics. Compare year to year changes in your Audience Finder Original and Audience Finder Answers dashboards with optional annual reporting for your management team and board.
- Find out how effective engagement strategies are in your area. Collect and compare demographic information with other organisations in your area. This is especially useful if you are working collaboratively on joint initiatives, activities or are have a joint funder.
- Undertake a diversity audit. Collect demographic information from your employees, volunteers, board members, artists and audiences as part of a diversity audit, to compare with national, regional and sector benchmarks.
- Engage with your community. Carry out accessible research and sensitive consultation with people in your community.
- Have the right conversations. Take part in meaningful dialogue with BAME communities and their organisations.
- Identify unintentional barriers. Recognise where discouragement might occur, especially in the context of race, socio-economic status, class or disability.
- Review your accessibility. Audit your facilities and services from the perspective of disabled, family or other first-time users.
- Work cooperatively. Co-design spaces and activities that are relevant and universally accessible.
- Empower your team. Enable your staff to explore and address issues of unconscious bias in a refreshing, engaging way.
- Appeal to funders. Develop an audience strategy to support fundraising requirements and meet major funding bodies' needs.