Explore the typical lifestages and characteristics of Metroculturals:
There is a lot of demographic diversity in this segment, especially in terms of age, family circumstance and cultural background.
- This segment is made up of many different age groups, trending just slightly younger than the population average.
- Only a fifth have children at home, while nearly 50% are single.
- Metroculturals are truly cosmopolitan; the group least likely to identify as “White English”, with only 50% doing so.
- The segment includes above average numbers of people of all other cultural backgrounds and ethnicities, including the highest number of foreign nationals and people of mixed cultural heritage.
- They have the lowest levels of disability and long-standing illness (17%) and of mental health conditions (19%) of any Audience Spectrum group.
Metroculturals are a highly educated, prosperous, successful, liberal-minded and urbanite segment.
- While Metroculturals are notable for their affluence and city-centre living, their most defining demographic feature is level of education.
- Over 70% have a degree level education and a significant proportion have further post-graduate or professional qualifications.
- They play hard, but they work even harder, typically holding demanding but rewarding high-status roles in key financial and professional organisations, as well as in politics, media and the arts.
- From primary research it can be noted that a significant proportion of Metroculturals are arts and museums professionals.
Many among this digitally savvy and constantly connected group have chosen a city lifestyle specifically for the broad cultural opportunity it affords.
- Beyond their core and character defining passion for culture, Metroculturals are also highly active in other ways, taking part in a broad spectrum of leisure pursuits, from fitness and sport to speaking events and eating out.
- They are avid travellers, taking frequent foreign trips to a wide variety of destinations, and are most likely to visit heritage sites, both home and away.
- Metroculturals are generally early adopters and have amongst the highest online presence of all the segments, and use web and mobile extensively for leisure purposes.