Explore the local activities and community engagement of Metroculturals:
Metroculturals are found in large city centre locations and conurbations of great prosperity and growth.
- They are largely to be found in cities like Manchester, Newcastle, Birmingham and Bristol, although the overwhelming majority are in London.
- Visit our Audience Mapping tool in the Audience Finder dashboard to investigate the location of this segment.
Metroculturals live very purposefully in areas with plenty of access to arts and culture, that are large enough for them to engage frequently with a variety of activities and/or follow a special interest.
- Their proximity to a rich variety of venues helps feed this segment’s cultural habit and ease of access often forms part of the decision-making process for people spoilt for choice and short of time.
- Metroculturals have one of the lowest levels of car ownership and mileage of any segment – public transport connections, taxi ranks and bike racks matter more to them than to less city-centre based segments.
While Metroculturals volunteer more than average and have a strong sense of social justice, their efforts are not necessarily 'local', as they engage more with issues that speak to a notion of 'national' or 'global' community.
- As active people, Metroculturals are also more likely than average to volunteer, nearly a third doing so across a wide range of activities.
- They are the segment most likely to give to people on the street, as well as to homeless charities and other social justice causes, particularly overseas disaster relief funds.